Working at Lougheed House offers you the chance to make history come alive for Calgarians and visitors from around the world. In the process you will also meet new people, learn new skills and be part of a great team.
EVENT HOST (casual employment)
Lougheed House is seeking an enthusiastic individual to join our team!
It is an exciting time to join Lougheed House as we continue to grow as a cultural hub for Calgary and our Beltline community. We are expanding our programming and are looking for an individual interested in being a part of this journey.
Lougheed House was built in 1891 and is a Provincial and National Historic Site. Designed by Ottawa architect James R. Bowes for Senator James and Isabella Lougheed, it is one of the earliest surviving mansions of its kind on the Canadian prairies today. Located in the Beltline district of Calgary amid several acres of heritage gardens and green space, the House is also an accredited museum and significant Calgary landmark. It features a regular exhibition program, hosts events/programs, tours, and learning opportunities for visitors of all ages.
COMPANY NAME: Lougheed House Conservation Society
POSITION TITLE: Event Host
REPORTS TO: Special Events Coordinator
Working with the Special Events Coordinator, the Event Host is responsible in ensuring guests have a seamless and positive experience in the Lougheed House. The Event Host support includes, but is not limited to:
- Set up and tear down of all events (i.e. chairs, tables, AV equipment, etc.)
- Provide excellent customer service to all guests, partners and affiliates
- Contribute to a positive organization culture
- Work in harmony with on-site Restaurant Caterer
- Ensure that clients abide by all contractual agreements as to usage of the Historic Site.
- Safeguarding the historic site
- Inspection of historic site after special event functions/programs for damages
- Answer questions about House history or provide short interpretive tours
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be eligible to work
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to take direction, work both independently and within a team
- Ability to problem-solve and take initiative within provided guidelines
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Proven skill, ability and flexibility in dealing with public in an enthusiastic, helpful, and friendly manner.
- Ability to deal courteously, tactfully and diplomatically with other employees and guests
- Comfortable speaking publicly in front of a small group
- Must provide a positive attitude.
- Provide excellent customer service – an Ambassador for the House.
- Have a neat appearance (hair groomed, clothes pressed and clean)
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Must be available to work days, late evenings and weekends (including Sundays)
- Must be able to frequently lift objects weighing up to 30 pounds, climb stairs
- Proven dependability
- Secondary education or a combination of education and experience related to hospitality or event management an asset
- A minimum 2 years’ experience in working with the public in a paid or volunteer capacity
- Consideration will be given to candidates who are graduates or are studying event management, museum studies, fine arts, history or related disciplines.
- Current Basic First Aid Certificate
- Periodically lift objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Climb stairs
- Use hands and arms to reach for, grasp and manipulate objects.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- Occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch.
Lougheed House is committed to, and values, diversity in the workplace.
JOB LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
START DATE: November 1, 2018
DURATION: This is a part time casual position. Hours worked are dependent upon events scheduled and applicates availability. Work can occur any day or evening during the week.
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume and cover letter
Submissions should be sent by email to:
Judy Uwiera, Special Events Coordinator
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: October 26th, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. MST
A current security clearance check is required for this role.
The job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
# # #
Metis Kowledge Specialist
Part-time term position.