Working at Lougheed House offers you the chance to make history come alive for Calgarians and visitors from around the world. In the process you will also meet new people, learn new skills and be part of a great team.
It is an exciting time to join Lougheed House. Lougheed House was built in 1891 and is a Provincial and National Historic Site. Designed by Ottawa architect James R. Bowes for Senator James and Isabella Lougheed, it is one of the earliest surviving mansions of its kind on the Canadian prairies today. Located in the Beltline district of Calgary amid several acres of heritage gardens and green space, Lougheed House is a provincial and national historic site, an accredited museum and significant Calgary landmark. It features a regular exhibition program, and hosts events, tours, and learning opportunities for visitors of all ages.
Lougheed House is developing an exhibit that explores Métis identity and peoplehood – past and present – on an individual, communal, and national level. What does it mean to be Métis? How has cultural expression changed over space and time? What role does social positionality play in these expressions?
We are asking artists to submit work in response to this theme. Please see the Call for Artists – Lougheed House.
Guest Services Coordinator :
It is an exciting time to join Lougheed House as we continue to grow as a cultural hub for Calgary and our Beltline community. We are expanding our guest experience with a focus on The Shop and are looking for an individual interested in being a part of this journey.
Lougheed House was built in 1891 and is a Provincial and National Historic Site. Designed by Ottawa architect James R. Bowes for Senator James and Isabella Lougheed, it is one of the earliest surviving mansions of its kind on the Canadian prairies today. Located in the Beltline district of Calgary amid several acres of heritage gardens and green space, the House is also an accredited museum and significant Calgary landmark. It features a regular exhibition program, restaurant, gift shop, and hosts events, tours, and learning opportunities for visitors of all ages.
COMPANY NAME: Lougheed House Conservation Society
POSITION TITLE: Guest Services Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Lougheed House
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Guest Services Coordinator is responsible for working closely with numerous staff members and volunteers to develop an outstanding visitor experience at Lougheed House for all. The Guest Services Coordinator manages front desk services at Lougheed House, including messaging, orientation of visitors, and maintaining the Shop. The Coordinator provides a strong focus on the success of the Shop within Lougheed House and ensures that the interpretation of the House is coordinated in the Shop and shared with all guests via staff.
- Responsible for coordinating all front desk services at Lougheed House, including: running the Shop, supervising support staff, maintaining the guest welcome and experience at the House, the visual appearance of admissions and the Shop, and processing of related sales
- Responsible for growing the Shop revenue based on strategic plan targets
- Creates reports as requested for Shop (i.e. sales, inventory aging, trends, etc.)
- Maintains and develops consignment relationships within the Shop and produces all necessary consignment reports and correspondence as per contracts
- Sources and purchases wholesale product with consultation of the Executive Director, within budget parameters and Lougheed House vision
- Works with local artists/producers and Lougheed House volunteers to create and maintain a vibrant Lougheed House branded line of products in the Shop
- Responsible for the merchandising of the Shop on a seasonal or event-based need; coordinates “pop-up” Shop events on site or at show opportunities
- Manages the inventory and the supplies for the Shop and admissions in a timely fashion and within budget
- Schedules, hires when needed, coaches, and provides training for support staff in the Guest Services area
- Tracks and reports visitor data, creates reports as required, to inform the evolution of the visitor experience for management and the province
- Responsible for soliciting and accepting feedback from guests regarding their experience and reason for visiting LH; encouraging support staff to engage with guests accordingly; reporting findings as required
- Participates with the team and community as required to create opportunities for the public to engage with and be fully a part of the stories and histories we share at Lougheed House
- Supports the Executive Director in the development of the visitor experience budget, and makes recommendations in changes to the budget
- Works collaboratively with all staff, including Restaurant staff, on site-wide initiatives such as strategic planning or growing the visitor experience
- Ensures communication and documentation flow effectively between Guest Services and all departments of the organization as required
- Works with guests, volunteers, donors, and stakeholders as required
- Post-secondary diploma/education in retail or business management, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum 3 years’ experience in a retail environment; with merchandising and consignment relationship building
- Passion/strong interest and knowledge in guest engagement/experience, art, culture or history is a definite asset
- Work independently and within a team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including strong oral and written skills; ability to follow written/oral directions
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrates strong supervision skills with staff/volunteers
- Demonstrates good judgment, ability to take initiative, critical problem solving and conflict management
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience handling all types monetary transactions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is a requirement; advanced Excel skill is essential
- Experience with Moneris and Amber POS system or similar software is an asset
- Ability to produce reports using a SQL-based software is a requirement
- Familiar with staff scheduling-based software and mobile applications
- Pleasant and professional manner with ability to interact with staff, volunteers, and public in a positive, enthusiastic manner
- Ability to represent Lougheed House with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with the public, visitors, colleagues, Lougheed House stakeholders, donors, and volunteers
- Ability to work with close attention to detail and to maintain confidentiality
- Periodically lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Climb stairs.
- Stand for one to two hours at a time.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- Occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Use hands and arms to reach for, grasp and manipulate objects.
Lougheed House is committed to, and values, diversity in the workplace.
JOB LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
START DATE: March 5, 2019
DURATION: This is a permanent position involving 5 days a week with some weekend days for a total of 32 hours a week. Flexibility of schedule required: evenings required during events when the Shop opens.
COMPENSATION: $17.50/hour with a benefit package.
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume and cover letter
Submissions should be sent by email to:
Jennifer Mickle, Administration Coordinator
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: February 15th, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. MST
A security clearance check is required for this role.
For more information on the Lougheed House, please go to lougheedhouse.com or visit us at 707-13 Avenue SW, Calgary AB.
The job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.