Looking Back at 2015: The 10th Anniversary of the Opening of Lougheed House - Lougheed House

Posted by | December 17, 2015 | Uncategorized | No Comments

Lougheed House opened to the public as a historic site in April 2005. The long process to restore the House began in 1995 with the formation of the Lougheed House Conservation Society. The House fell into disrepair during the 1980s, and was in need of help to return it to its former condition. 2015 marked two milestones – the 10th Anniversary of the opening of the House to the public and the 20th Anniversary of the Lougheed House Conservation Society.

As we mark the end of 2015, we can look back at a few snapshots of the process that transformed Lougheed House into the Museum and Historic Site we know today! In 2016, we will be celebrating the 125th Anniversary of the construction of the House in 1891. Watch for further details soon on specialĀ of events, performances, workshops, talks and more to celebrate the 125th.

2004.6 Anaglypta Painting Sept (crop)All of the paint colours in the House are historically accurate. Many of the House’s details were carefully restored. The second floor’s lincrusta, shown here, has the same colours as the original.

crop 2003.8This photograph shows the House in 2003, just two years away from being ready to open to the public.
gardeners 2004.8Lougheed House’s Garden volunteers are vital to keeping the grounds looking their best. The 2004 Garden team helped plantĀ heritage perennials that were donated by Calgary’s gardeners.
Opening Gala event 1 cropThe House kicked off its opening with a Housewarming Ball, one that aimed to commemorate a ball given by the Lougheeds in 1892.
Opening Gala 3 cropBoard Member Ron Robertson and past Executive Director Trudy Cowan at the Housewarming Ball with two actors portraying Lady Isabella Lougheed and Sir James Lougheed.

Leave a Reply

We have year round exhibits and free events.

Join our newsletter list to be the first to know!

Sign up for our e-newsetter.