Then & Now: 10 Years Open to the Public - Lougheed House

Posted by | April 30, 2015 | Uncategorized | No Comments

Lougheed House opened to the public fully restored on May 1st, 2005. The Gardens were also beautifully recreated in 2005 by a team of volunteers. A Garden Party celebrated the hard work of restoration workers, volunteers and the Lougheed House Conservation Society. The celebration echoed the garden parties held by Lady Lougheed herself.

Celebrate our 10th Anniversary by joining us for Four Dollar Friday May 1st, 2015! Enjoy $4 admission to the House and $4 wine at The Restaurant. Costumed interpreters will be available from 11:30 a.m. until closing. To make a reservation at The Restaurant, please call (403) 410-9288. Reservations are recommended. The House is open from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The Restaurant is open from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Untitled design (43)

A garden party at Lougheed House in the early 1900s and the Garden Party opening in 2005.

Ten Interesting Facts About the Restoration of Lougheed House:

1. The House was restored as a teaching tool, with multiple “windows” installed revealing what the old coverings, wiring, plumbing and construction looked like.

2. All of the paint colors are historically accurate, along with the finishes on the woodwork.

3. A forth generation blacksmith originally from France recreated the iron work on the roof.

4. Historical artifacts were found during the restoration process, including an invitation to a 1892 fashion show, a WWII military dance ticket and Red Cross bandages.

5. A time capsule made by restoration workers with signatures and mementos in 2004 was placed in a post on the second level balustrade.

6. Lougheed House Archives were created to give students, scholars and interested visitors access to background information, photographs and documents.

7. Decisions about the flowers and shrubbery in the Gardens was once made by Lady Lougheed, but now it is made by the Society’s head gardener who leads a team of volunteers.

8. Staff and volunteers helped create period-specific garments for the interpreters to wear in order to fully immerse visitors in the building’s past.

9. Many of the Garden’s heritage perennials were donated by Calgary’s gardeners.

10. Some of the original House furnishings were returned from the 1938 auction that sold the contents of the home to the highest bidder. Many of these items came from donors who had enjoyed them for many years, and they required conservation work.

 

 

Leave a Reply

We have year round exhibits and free events.

Join our newsletter list to be the first to know!

Sign up for our e-newsetter.
SUBSCRIBE
close-link